The Glenfield College International Languages Department aims to equip the students with the skills to communicate in a second language, learn about languages, and view the world from differing perspectives.
· Develop communicative skills in Japanese in both written and oral language.
· Develop cultural awareness and understanding.
· Develop language awareness and appropriate usage.
Benefits of Studying another Language
· Learning a second language benefits all students, intellectually, socially, and culturally.
· Learning a second language gives students a better understanding of their mother tongue.
· Learning a second language gives students the skills to learn further languages.
· Exploring language helps students to gain skills and confidence and encourages them to take learning risks.
· Language and culture are inseparable.
· Learning a new language enables students to take their place in a multicultural community and a multilingual world.
Facilities and Resources
· Multimedia presentations form a regular part of teaching.
· Japanese language assistants are regularly involved in oral classes.
· Language classes make use of ICT facilities, audio and visual recordings.
Opportunities Available to Students
Students at all levels are encouraged to enter the Japanese Proficiency Test held twice yearly, which is an internationally recognised test run by the Ministry of Education of Japan.
Students also have the opportunity to experience Japanese foods in class.
Mr John Sinclair
Teacher-in-Charge of Japanese
Email: [email protected]