The Drama Department seeks to provide students with a comprehensive, high quality drama education. Our Drama programme allows students to develop their practical knowledge, ideas, communication, interpretation, and an understanding of context in drama, as per the New Zealand Arts Curriculum.
The Drama department has a black box studio classroom with a full lighting rig, projection and sound set up. There are well-stocked costume and props rooms. Students are taught to use technologies to enhance their performance work. Classes often use the Kaipatiki Theatre, a state of the art facility (outlined in more detail in the Facilities page) which has separate male and female changing rooms, set bays, and a lighting/sound booth. All of these facilities are located together in the same building.
Activities and Performances
• Senior productions are performed every year in the Kaipataki Theatre. This allows Drama students to gain a range of performance experiences throughout their time at Glenfield College.
• Student trips to view professional plays are organised twice per year. We ensure our students experience a range of Auckland theatre, taking in the best classic and contemporary productions.
• A student ambassador to the Auckland Theatre Company is appointed.
• Students are able to partake in the weekly Theatresports club.This can lead to their selection into the schools competitive Theatresports team which competes as part of the Auckland TYP.
• Students have the opportunity to join the technical team and learn about lighting and sound operation and design.
Drama is offered at all year levels. We have innovative junior programmes that offer a taste of the subject and we have a thriving full-time senior programme that allows students to gain credits at all levels of NCEA, whilst exploring engaging texts, developing performance skills and expanding personal skills.
Ms Jordyn Wilson
Teacher-in-Charge of Drama
Email: [email protected]